- COVID-19 vaccines will help protect our community from getting very sick from the virus.
- The vaccines are voluntary and free.
- Everyone in Australia can get the free vaccination when it’s their turn.
- You do not need a Medicare card if you get your vaccination at a Commonwealth vaccination clinic or state or territory vaccination clinics.
Vaccine safety and how they work
- The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) are the scientists and medical experts who regulate and approve all vaccines, medicines, and other medical products for use in Australia. The TGA check all COVID-19 vaccines for quality, safety and effectiveness before approving them for use in Australia.
- COVID-19 vaccines teach your body to recognise and fight the COVID-19 virus. They do not contain COVID-19. You cannot get COVID-19 from having the vaccines.
- Vaccines are a safe way of building protection against the virus in the body, without causing illness.
- For the best protection, you will need two doses of the vaccines, a few weeks apart.
- COVID-19 vaccines approved for use in Australia have been shown to be very good at protecting against severe illness and death.
- It is important to stay informed through official sources.
- If you want to talk to someone about COVID-19 vaccines, or ask when it’s your turn, call the National Coronavirus Helpline on 1800 020 080. The hotline is available 24 hours every day. For the translating and interpreting Service, call 131 450.
- You can learn more at the Department of Health’s website where information is available in 63 languages www.health.gov.au/covid19-vaccines-languages
- You can also talk to your doctor.